South CarolinaAndersonBleckley Inn

Contact Information:


Facebook
Twitter
Blog

Write a testimonial

Details:


Bleckley Inn, Anderson, South Carolina

Bleckley Inn


Anderson, South Carolina


The Bleckley Inn stands on what was once referred to as Granite Row. The original structure was built in 1908 by Sylvester Bleckley and was named the Elizabeth Bleckley Building after his wife. This was Anderson's first multi-storied office building with an elevator. J.J. Fretwell, son-in-law of Mr. Bleckley, became his partner. John E. Peoples, another son-in-law of Mr. Bleckley, also contributed to the success of this venture. Mr. People's statue can be seen a block away in the cemetery on the grounds of First Baptist Church of Anderson, South Carolina.

Unfortunately, one of Anderson's most historic fires destroyed the Bleckley Building in 1978. Any original bricks that could be salvaged were utilized in the reconstruction. The Bleckley Inn construction began in 2010. The guest rooms have been named in honor of these three men, Bleckley, Fretwell and Peoples, that were instrumental in the development of downtown Anderson at the turn of the century.

The Bleckley Inn opened March of 2011 and features 14 rooms.