The land first belonged to George Slocomb , who bought it from the inhabitants of Marblehead early in the 18th century. A shoreman (one involved in the curing- -drying & salting -- and storage of fish) and joiner (carpenter), Mr. Slocomb built a house on the parcel, which fronted about four poles (66') on the street; on 31 Oct 1717 he mortgaged his house and land to James Bowdoin, Boston merchant (33:84). He re-mortgaged the homestead for 164 li to Mr. Bowdoin on 15 Mar 1719/20 (37:95). Evidently unable or unwilling to repay the mortgage, George Slocomb on 24 June 1728 for 400 li (inflated currency) granted the premises to James Bowdoin the former mortgagee (52:167)
Twenty-eight years later after the death of James Bowdoin, and the probable deterioration of the house, the Bowdoin heirs on 8 Sept 1756 for 70 li granted the homestead to Samuel Glover, Marblehead cordwainer (shoemaker), ( 102: 271).
Samuel Glover (1730-62) was born in Salem, probably late in 1729 or early in 1730, the second son of Jonathan and Tabitha (Bacon) Glover of Salem . His father died in 1737, whereupon his mother, evidently a native of Marblehead*, removed to this town with her four young children Jonathan Samuel, John and Daniel. On 13 May 1744 the guardianship of Samuel, then aged more than 14 years, was awarded to Benjamin Stacey, feltmaker of Marblehead (# ll043) .
Samuel married Mary Andrews of Marblehead in 1751 . By spring of the next year he was master of the 49 ton schooner Two Brothers, aboard which he cleared Salem on 24 April 1752, bound for Newfoundland (EIHC 69:182). In that same year he was issued a license to sell liquor, which activity wag restricted to persons of good repute (EIHC 92:381).
Like his brothers Jonathan and John, who would rise to high rank in the Continental Army, Samuel was of a. military bent, serving as a captain in the French and Indian War (EPIC 92:385). He was known as Captain Samuel as much for his military position as for his status aboard ship.
Between making shoes, commanding vessels, and selling rum, Capt. Glover achieved a fair degree of affluence, and in 1756 he decided to